Re: U2 version 119

Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Fri, 06
Jan 2006 21:12:59 -0500
the top line of startup.int is wa=180, and the one further down . . . says wa=18.

I overlooked the 180 line. Delete it. That would result in very prolonged
error msgs.
Done
>>If I ever get around to printing directly from Xy again, I may need the HYP dict.

Why don't you print "directly" from XyWrite? Maybe I don't need to know...
Tim Baer's .pgm doesn't work in XP, and there's been this rumor circulating onlist that "there is a perfectly simple and workable solution. Download Ghostscript and Gsview and use Robert Holmgren's TYP routine from U2 with his Postghst.prn driver (new version, IIRC, with updated high-order characters). It Just Works. Even on a USB printer." So I decided to update my U2, and you know the rest. ( That particular quote is from Patricia, who tried to help me with a printer-file loading problem months ago, but I made a hash of that. Anyway, one step at a time.)
You would not want me to continue experimenting, in order to make a complete report, without food.

You can put it off indefinitely, AFAIC. It postpones the day that I might have
to fix the frame. I'd rather armchair critique your installation than dig into
that (very complicated) program, especially since I can't reproduce your
problem.

And I'm not so much hungry as just plumb tuckered. It's real work answering
questions on this maillist.
I believe every word of it. There have been moments this week
when I've had to ask myself, "If it's taking this much time and
energy for me just to describe the problem, how much time and
energy is it taking Robert to try analyzing and solving it?"
Would it be helpful to ask other U2v119 users to see if they can
duplicate my problem? If it's mine alone, there's no loss in
training myself to use  only when using U2. (But I
*would* like to be able to cursor to the ends of directories
longer than the XY full screen.)
This is my most recent set of experiments, using gijan06.txt, a
file located near the end of the \giants directory on c:
(Obviously, any co-experimenters would use their own files and
paths.)

[1.] c: \xy4 prompt on cml  dir \giants
\giants directory appears in text area, with cursor on first line
page will not scroll, so cursor disappears below screen
cml ABort aborts \giants directory, gives me clear screen with clear cml.
(cml ABort accomplishes the same thing)

[2.] same session dir \giants
\giants directory appears in text area, but cursor is still on cml
use Esc to put cursor on first line of directory
page will not scroll (but I swear it did 5 minutes ago in a previoius session!), cursor disappears below screen
rest of results same as [1.]

[3.] same session, cd c:\
from c:\ prompt on cml  dir \giants.
results same as [1.]

[4.] same session
from c:\ on cml dir \giants
same results as [2.]

[5.] same session
from c:\ on cml CAll \giants\gijan06.txt
file appears in text area
add one word to file
f5 to cml, issue ST
overwrite query appears on black screen
by accident I hit without choosing either y or N, and got returned to clear xy screen with st on cml,
and st \giants\gijan06.txt on status line
call file again, the new word wasn't saved, N must have been default
add word to file again
f5 to cml, issue ST
overwrite query appears on black screen
returned to clear xy screen with st on cml, and st \giants\gijan06.txt on status line

[6.] same session
from c:\ on cml CAll \giants\gijan06.txt
file appears in text area, new word is missing for obvious reasons, add word
f5 to cml, issue ST
overwrite query appears on black screen
returned to clear xy screen with st on cml, and st \giants\gijan06.txt on status line

[7.] same session
cd back to c:\xy4
ca \giants\gijan06.txt
same as [6.]
[8.] tried again in new session, all tests have the same results as above, i.e., fine as long as the file is called by its own path, name and extension from cml.
[9.] I was able to experiment in a short directory whose two
files were accessible by cursor.
 c: \xy4 or c:\ prompt on cml  dir \arch
\arch directory appears in text area
move cursor to Vidler.txt
toggle to cml
issue CAll
The file that appears in text area can be STored using , and both y and n; The same file called the same way can also be STored using and n, but, of course, changes to the file are lost. Attempts to STore the file using and y result in the movable jiggly black cursor on the otherwise totally empty blue screen and the only way out to is to close XY completely.
Whatever the problem is, it seems to involve only files that have
been called from directories and STored using .

Thanks to all, and especially to Robert
Judith Davidsen