Re: Access Denied

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Wed,
16 Jan 2002 20:59:18 -0500

> That will clear the read-only attribute from all files in that
> directory and any subdirectories. Be SURE you are in the
> directory you want, not the root. If you clear the read-only
> attribute from some of Windows' own files you could trash your
> system royally.

Which is a very good reason, especially at the "kindergarten" level,
to use the Xy command, ATTRIB d:\path\filename,0, as I suggested
yesterday. The Xy command operates on one file at a time, thus
drastically reducing the possibility of fatal error. Especially
since, here, the Read-Write status of a single file (XWSET.DFL)
appeared to be at issue.

The argument 0, by the way, clears the bit (makes the file Read-
Write); 1 sets it to Read-Only.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx