Re: ATT etc. (now: HTML versions | OS/2)

Thanks for the very through reply, which I'll have to mull over. I go way
back to DOS days, and once built a system (which was foolhardy of me,
given my nearsightedness and general lack of hand-mind coordination; Miss
All-thumbs personified). So I'm not afraid of configuring (and MuckySoft
to the contrary notwithstanding, Plug and Play is still Plug and Pray). I
actually got Linux (SuSe 6) installed on a system, but have not had time
to play with it.
I believe someone on this list mentioned that OS/2 has a multiboot
capacity built in? Because I do have to run Win32 apps for clients, and
am somewhat chary of using third-party boot loaders; of course, with the
cost of hardware what it is, a second system would be simpler, but then I
run into desk space and electrical circuit problems.
Too true that "support" is a joke anywhere in the industry. Live human
support that is. Compaq used to have a good supply of docs, manuals, spec
sheets, and drivers on its Website, but since the HP merger they seem to
be weeding out the older ones. Ironic: they make hardware good enough to
last five years or more, then assume it's gone to the recycling dump. (I
have 4 secondhand Compaqs, here and at the office, one of them found on
the curb and proving to be in perfect working order, beyond a corrupted
registry, which I fixed by reinstalling Win98. And the CAB files had been
copied to the hard drive, so I was even able to keep the license.)
About those invisible Web pages: don't blame the coders. That happened to
my abortive page: I set the fonts to be Black on white, with my logo in
blue on white. Did all the code by the WWW book, including CSS. And
Netscape insisted on displaying dark blue on BLACK. It showed up OK under
AOL (at my client's) and IE (on a friend's system)--and I hope I don't
have to say that I had not used Front Page or any other M$ app to create
it.
Patricia