Re: 'Death to Word'

Y'all,

Interesting article. It confirms what I have always believed about Word,
that it was designed for secretaries, not writers or editors. Writers
use something with fewer buzzers and bells, and editors use layout
programs. As the author points out, Word suffers from feature creep.
Feature creep inevitably leads to code bloat; code bloat inevitably
leads to mechanical puns, crashes, and compatibility issues--all the
things we have come to hate about Word and love about Xy.

I myself use Xy for bulk input, and InDesign for editing (print, epub,
and web). PageMaker 6 (forerunner of InDesign) has a good and reliable
Xy import filter, so what I write in Xy gets first imported into PM and
then edited in InDesign. Its a bit of a detour, but preferable to using
Word for anything other than opening docs someone else has sent me.