Re: Xy4 Setup

rrr@xxxxxxxx (Yo Intl.) wrote:

> I don't know if I am expressing myself poorly, or if there is some
> sort of mystery at work. In the XY3 .spl file, the entry in
> question is: "SIe Sie". Thus, XY3 dutifully corrects all instances
> of "SIe" to "Sie", but leaves the "sie" alone. XY4 insists on changing
> "sie" in all forms of capitalizations; thus I have to remove all of
> those entries. And yes, the setting in the .dfl file is zc=1; I changed
> that immediately after finding it.

In this instance (a rare occurrence), I have to agree with Rene. When
you have the line "SIe Sie" (intended to auto-correct a fairly common
slip of the fingers) in a SPL file in Xy4, it will indeed not only
change "SIe" into "Sie" but will also try to correct any occurrence
of "sie" into "Sie" which is *not* what you want, because in German
you sometimes need lower-case "sie" and sometimes upper-case "Sie"
(but of course never "SIe"). Which spell checker (German or English)
is loaded is irrelevant. This is strictly an auto-expansion thing.
I'd agree that this is one instance (a rare occurrence) where Xy3
indeed has the upper hand over Xy4, but for me personally, the
innumerable advantages of Xy4 far outweigh this minor annoyance.

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx