Re: Printers/XyWrite 3+/OS2 v3

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997 jbesser@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> In <199701110048.TAA05528@xxxxxxxx>, on 01/10/97
>  at 07:46 PM, pienciak@xxxxxxxx (Pienciak) said:
>
> >My Okidata OL400 (LED) printer won't feed paper in past
> >several inches and supposedly needs a paper input assembly,
>
> You may want to consider something cheaper. My Canon bubblejet is a champ
> with the Xy/Dos and OS/2 combination, using ibm-x24e emulation. At first,
> the per-page cost was too high. But newly available refill kits make it
> very economical. The print is almost laser quality; it also does a very nice
> job on incoming faxes received with FaxWorks/2.

Also look at the HP Deskjets, especially the DJ682C ($299 or less) and
the DJ693C ($349 or less; has a $50 photo-print kit option which is paid
for by the rebate offer). Amazing quality for the price. Both also print
banners (remember fanfold paper?...)

The main advantage is that the ink used by the DJs is much better than
what Epson and Canon inkjets use--when dry, hardly ever runs. And the
cheap 3rd-party refills, while somewhat lower quality, are still pretty
good (especially Parana). By contrast, my experience with Epson and
Canon cartridges is that the ink runs very easily when any water gets
near it.

---
Dorothy Day
Indiana University