Re: Northgate keyboards, their clones & successors

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> ** Reply to message from jr_fox@xxxxxxxxxxx on Sat, 13 Jan 2001 14:44:06 -0800
>
> > The MCK-142 Pro is close but not an exact replacement. The "function" of
> > the Ctrl-Caps-Shift keys can be reassigned under Windows with a keyboard
> > remap program we will point you to. But it is not a hardware swap and only
> > works under Windows. Also, the key caps cannot be exchanged as they are
> > different sizes and there are no extra key caps included with the unit.
>
> Avant Stellar: *All* keys can be reassigned, or have macros loaded
> on them, or any damn thing you please, in *hardware* (the keyboard
> remembers every assignment, and you can move the keyboard from one
> machine to another without losing anything -- the only restriction is
> that the software program that makes these hardware changes only runs
> under Win9x -- but there is also a manual way of reassigning keys that
> requires no program at all, the keyboard only needs to be plugged in
> to a machine -- however, the software program is so nifty and easy to
> use that I prefer it). Extra keys in different sizes are provided,
> e.g. for swapping the CapsLock and Ctrl keys.

Thanks, Robert, but I do not use Win9x at all -- just NT-4, and that
infrequently. For that reason and others, the only solution that appeals to me
is a hardware one, involving physically changing the keys. I hope that the
"manual" method to which you refer is very similar to the way the NG-102's did
it. That was absolutely certain and failsafe: set the alternate dipswitch
settings and the key layout _is_ changed, no matter what app. or O.S. you bring
up, no matter what (compatible) system you move the keyboard to. Also in regard
to the Stellar, I do happen to use the PS/2 connection. Appreciate the laptop
warning, but the last laptop I owned was a Toshiba 1100+, many years ago, and if
it ain't in the Smithsonian by now it probably deserves to be.

Jordan