Re: vDos-lfn instead of vDosXy

Reply to note from "John P"  (Redacted
sender "vf200" for DMARC) Sun, 1 May 2016 13:57:53 +0000 (UTC)

John,

> that path instruction does correct the problem.

As per my subsequent post, you don't need the paths if you put the
command below the PATH statement in AUTOEXEC.TXT.

I now have the latest version of vDos-lfn running, and in general it's
satisfactory. My benchmark tests (TLOOPS, in U2) indicate that it runs
XyWrite 4 a shade slower than does vDosXy v1.00, but the difference is
negligible. I agree with you that it would be good to restore the
keyboard delay and repeat-rate settings in CONFIG.TXT. (What works as a
Windows global setting is not necessarily optimal for XyWrite, I find.)
I also miss the TITLE setting, which allows customizing the window
title.

It's nice to have long filenames in DOS, but I wish this meant that the
XyWrite DIR command also produced LFN listings. Alas, no. However, Xy4
with the latest U2 gives very good LFN support within XyWrite. For
example, try DIRBS *.pdf; then put the cursor on any LFN in
the listing, and issue S. Vwahlah. Also, the WX command pulls
the output of any Windows command into XyWrite. E.g., WX DIR;
WX XCOPY/?. This makes the interface between XyWrite and 64-
bit Windows pretty close to the proverbial seamless.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx