Re: Threading (Message-ID: 200212210734.gBL7YnBT007741@xxxxxxxx)

Sorry, but there is not a snowball's chance in Hell (to use a strong
expression of my father's) that you will catch me using Outlook in any of
its variants and forms. Even had I not sworn war to the knife with
MuckySoft (despite having to use its crummy OpSys, because dealing with
its bugs leaves me no time to learn Linux), every cracker, script kiddie,
and mauvais sujet in computerdom targets that piece of Swiss cheese (with
apologies to Gruyère).

But now I see Carl says that one can get POP mail with AT&T and use any
client. Well, I heard the tech support guy tell my friend that one HAD to
use Outlook; no other e-mail app would do. Having never used anything by
Juno and Prodigy (and being always ready to believe ill of Redmond), I
was evidently sold a bill of goods, and let my friend be too. (She's a
complete newbie and was relying on me to be her guru, at which I
obviously did a bad job where online matters are concerned). We were
trying to use Netscape's mail client, having problems, called AT&T tech
support, and got the Outlook or nothing story. But I have other, personal
and philosophical reasons for not using AT&T, regardless.

I have both Opera and Mozilla and would like to try either or both as
browsers, so again, I don't want an ISP that's going to insist on
Internet Exploiter. What about EarthLink? Anyone here use that? What
software do they want you to use? Allow? Thanks for any and all help
(despite my tirades).
Patricia