Re: DOS app icons Under Vista (A Fix?)

Brian.Henderson@xxxxxxxx wrote:
And a little further digging brought this: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/vista.html
Now this looks worthwhile. E. Mendelson again? One smart tech. I had been thinking of trying both the batchfile workaround (despite Robert's dire warnings against bat files). And was vaguely remembering that Carl launches with an initial call to command.com or cmd.exe. Later: OK, both workarounds work, but with neither can you specify the memory allocation. Shortcuts to batch files don't have a "Memory" tab on their pif properties page (not even in XP), nor do ones to cmd.exe. And if you use command.com as your VDM kernel, you CANNOT change its icon. In short, you can have control of memory allocation for a DOS app or you can have a pretty-picture icon on your desktop, but not both. (My opinion of such arrogance is not printable.) The question is, how necessary is that memory allocation setting for Xy? (It is absolutely essential for dBase 5 for DOS, which has to have 8 Mb of DOS Protected mode; needed it even under DOS.) I have had Xy crash, even under 9x, when those values weren't set right (auto for everything except EMS, which is 5120, and uses HMA checked). I now have 2 Xy shortcuts on my Vista desktop: the one with memory allocation and a white piece of paper icon, and the one with no memory allocation and Robert's nice red and blue icon. I'll use the second, set autosave to as short an interval as I can, and see what happens, with the other one on the desktop to fall back on. Thanks, Bry, for that lead. Would you please post the URL of that page, so we can see his other comments. -- Patricia M. Godfrey PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx