Re: xy3 installation problems

** Reply to message from megarat  on Sun, 30 Nov 2003
15:24:38 -0800 (PST)

> Harry: thanks for your xy3 suggestions; running the xy3 editor has the
> identical result as xy4: it just hangs.

Do you see a splash screen (or any other sign of intelligent life) momentarily,
before the hang, or just a black screen and nothingness? If the latter, I
guess we've arrived (rather quickly) at the end of the road. But I faintly
remember running XyWrite (v2? v3?) on a 40-character wide screen, just as an
experiment, and it worked.  Long long ago. Is there a BIOS on this machine
that could set screen width to 40? Or, for that matter, to 80?

Or issue a MODE command before trying to launch Xy3, perhaps something like:

MODE CON COLS=40 LINES=16

Do a "MODE /?" to find out what the correct syntax of the command is.
Then try Xy3. EDITOR might possibly be checking the screen setting when it
launches... it may understand 40 columns. 60 columns is really non-standard...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx