Re: New VCLIP

Reply to note from Fred Weiner  Sun, 12 Apr 2015
09:52:20 -0700

Fred,

> I've copied your latest reply to J.P. above for you to see how
> it's being presented in my gmail inbox

I know you've complained about this in the past and I was mystified,
but now I get it. I re-sent my post to my own Gmail account and I see
what you're describing. It has to do with the browser's encoding
setting and the fact that the Gmail website is (stupidly) not set up
to display plain-text messages properly. There is, however, a fairly
painless way to fix the display of "garbled" messages in Gmail. It
only takes a couple of mouse clicks. Watch here:

https://youtu.be/ep4eUhBXvgc

I believe that the redaction of subscriber names and email addresses
is a function of the Freelists setting that allows you to "hide"
yourself. Here's the relevant portion of the Help file:

TO HIDE ON A LIST:
	Send a message to the ecartis account on the server with a subject
	of "set [listname] hidden". You will no longer appear on WHO
	queries to the listserver. No one (except Admins) will know you
	are subscribed to the list unless you post to it (in which case
	those people on the list will know you posted if nothing else).

TO STOP HIDING ON A LIST:
	Send a message to the ecartis account on the server with a subject
	of "unset [listname] hidden". You will then show up on WHO
	queries to the listserver.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx