Re: alt enter etal

** Reply to message from rgrayauto@xxxxxxxx on Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:49:10 -0400

Ralph:

> Tried the alt enter on my xy III in win98 and it worked a treat. Then
> from that screen went into dos. at prompt ran old dos program that worked
> haltingly under w98 windows. It is running flawlessly. This may be, then,
> a backdoor to running some dos programs under win98.

You're saying that old DOS programs work better in Full Screen mode than in a
Window? That's almost always true, because Windows emulates the video when
running in a window on the Desktop, which is very time consuming (and always
incredibly ugly); whereas in an 80x25 VGA Full Screen session, there are no
such constraints, and the program, whatever it is, is simply allowed to display
the video it was designed to display without any translation or intervention.
I find that running old DOS programs like XyWrite in a Desktop window is
occasionally convenient, but pathetically slow. Plus there's all that other
Desktop clutter around, which muddles the mind.

> Haven't tried the Xy under this because I run it by itself via a multi
> boot.

You run it "by itself", Full Screen, in pure DOS? Why the dickens do you do
that? What are the advantages? Seems entirely unnecessary to me. Why not run
it Full Screen in Win98?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx