Re: UnDo2

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on
Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:19:29 -0400

>> Then issue these three *exact* commands, being very careful to
>> type the second command precisely (observe the spaces!):
>>  del/nv C:\XY\UNDOIDX
>>  dos/nv/x/z /c kmd/c start /min C:\XY\UnDo.exe K 5 1 1
>>  read C:\XY\UNDOIDX
>> What's the content of C:\XY\UNDOIDX? Does the file even
exist?
>> If so, does it contain at minimum a single carriage return?

> It exists, and has:
>
>  1;C:\mailhbl\kill
> That filename and path is correct. But I think it's
> left over from just-previous testing.

No, it cannot have been "left over": you just commanded "del/nv
C:\XY\UNDOIDX". You must have had "C:\mailhbl\kill" in
XyWrite's Window #1 when you issued the second of those three
commands. (It's very odd that that filename is lower-case:
XyWrite doesn't create lower case filenames...)

> So I quit X, deleted C:\mailhbl\kill, relaunched Xy,
> and did just the steps you outline. Result is a file
> whose content is just one .

That is what I would expect -- a single . No texts are open
(you just launched Xy4), so all there is is a single  in
UNDOIDX -- i.e., it has been initialized (created) but it is
empty.

> So it seems to be okay on this score. And, this time UD shows:
>  1.001
> It's contents, when REad, are three test lines left
> over from before I quit Xy the time before.
> What does it all mean?

It means that frame UNDO.INT, which is run in STARTUP.INT (or
manually), either isn't actually running or, for some reason,
isn't deleting all the files in C:\XY\UD.

Manually SAve a file in C:\XY\UD, then issue these two commands:
 undo.int
 dir C:\XY\UD
Is that file still in C:\XY\UD? The dir should be completely
empty. If it is NOT empty (i.e. your file is still there), then
likely you have a Read-Only problem in subdirectories of C:\XY.
Read-Only problems are absolutely rife on the C: drive in
Windows XP or higher. It's a powerful reason to partition your
disk and put your applications on D:, E:, F:, etc.

But if C:\XY\UD *is* empty, then we know that UNDO.INT, by
itself, is working properly, at least in this aspect (whether it
is working within the context of STARTUP.INT may be a different
matter). So: again manually SAve a file in C:\XY\UD, Quit
XyWrite, relaunch XyWrite, and immediately after STARTUP.INT
ends, do "dir C:\XY\UD" -- is the dir empty, or is your
SAved file still there?

R.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx