Re: XyIII+ in WinXP

Thanks, Harry. I'll play around more with the windowed mode--and I'll check out TameDOS, which I assume I can find via the archive. Why do you prefer the window vs full-screen mode?

I do own a copy of IV, and I may give it a shot again. At one time I was into XPL, but my interest now is pretty much purely in having Xy back as a writing interface--so, speaking from ignorance here--I'm not sure what advantages IV would bring in that regard.

On 7/13/07, Harry Binswanger mailto:hb@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Mark wrote:

>Regarding selection of fonts, the selections I make when in windowed mode
>have no effect on the full-screen font; it seems to stay the same no
>matter what. As I say, though, it's a perfectly serviceable font--I'm just
>feeling the xywriter's urge to tweak. But I'm not sure how to alter the
>full-screen font.

I recommend not using full-screen mode. A window, as large as you want it,
is really preferable, once you get used to seeing the Windows taskbar, etc.
around its edges. OTOH, in full-screen mode there is no latency with the
cursor movement. On the third hand, you can get a really nice windowed
screen with no cursor latency by using TameDOS.

Also, there's the fabulous quasi-plug-in XYWWWEB.U2. I forget whether that
is fully compatible with Xy III+, not having used that version in over a
decade. Even we stick-to-the-tried-and-true-old-programs people tend to
regard Xy IV as a very valuable upgrade. True, it's not a necessary
upgrade, but once tried you'll never go back. And it doesn't require much
at all in the way of departing from III+ procedures. As I recall, for
normal uses, you can 95% control it as if it were III+. The sands of time
may have erased the birthing pains from my memory--I do know I was very
suspicious of Xy IV when it first came out, and I still have my list of
"problems"--all of which look very stupid to me now, in hindsight. And now
there's this group to help with any questions you have. Of course, you may
have to wait 8 hours for an answer. :-)

Harry Binswanger
mailto:hb@xxxxxxxx