Re: english grammar

Patricia says,

2. Shall and will, should and would: Americans mostly use `will' and `would' all the time, except in legal language or other instances where the verb depends on another verb of permission or command: Garbage shall not be placed at the curb before 7 p.m. The English, however, make a nice distinction. To express simple futurity, they say I or we shall or should; thou, you, he, she, it, they will or would. To express determination, they reverse them: I shall probably go tomorrow if it doesn't rain. He will probably go too. I shall do it tomorrow, come hell or high water, and no one shall stop me. And then, if you're Winston Churchill, you use simple futurity to express the utmost determination: We shall fight... Should I forget (I trained myself in the English pattern in my teens), remind be when I get back on the list to send you the full version of these essays, if you want them. Patricia
"I shall drown; nobody will save me"--passenger on a sinking ship. "I will drown; nobody shall save me"--a would-be suicide "Egbert Souse," you have pled guilty to DUI. You shall be fined $5000 and your license shall be revoked."--the judge "I _will_ bring Souse to justice. He _will_ get the maximum sentence if I have anything to say about it." -- the prosecutor to the person he ran down in his car. "I shall go to the electronics store tonight. I _will_ purchase that DVD player I've been contemplating for weeks.--prospective owner of new DVD machine -- Leslie Bialler, Columbia University Press lb136@xxxxxxxx 61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023 212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup