receive emails long after they appeared in the archives.
The archives are compiled at, If I Recall Correctly, 1 a.m. each
morning, at which point I assume all posts of the previous 24 hours
are logged. But the list itself is active all the time. Posts arrive
and are sent out as they come in. Now sometimes a given post will
arrive late: it may have traveled through the Net equivalent of a
traffic jam. A typical routing would look something like this:
Avrom's PC->Avrom's MSN mail server->Outbound Intermediate Host
#1->Outbound Intermediate Host #2...->Outbound Intermediate Host
#n->UPenn Receiver Server->UPenn Send Server->Inbound Intermediate
Host #1->Inbound Intermediate Host #2...->Inbound Intermediate host
#n->Avrom's MSN Mail Server->Avrom's PC

The path to the archives would look like this:
Avrom's PC->Avrom's MSN mail server->Outbound Intermediate Host #1->Outbound Intermediate Host #2...->Outbound Intermediate Host #n->UPenn Receiver Server->UPenn Send Server->Inbound Intermediate Host #1->Inbound Intermediate Host #2...->Inbound Intermediate host #n->XyWWWEB Server->XyWWWEb Archive file.

And that last step, as I said, is only done once a day.
That is a grossly oversimplified way of putting it, I'm sure. And if there's anything flat-out wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx