Re: built-in rules

I don't know from German, so I'll stick to English. "I am a Danish." vs.
"I am Danish." seems to more or less parallel the German Berliner bit. "I
am a Danish" does point to the pastry--but, of course, if we know it's a
foreigner speaking, and if we have some relevant context, we can go for the
political or ethnic association. But (but) of course we also have "I am a
Dane." which, of course, is not pastry. Sort of at issue, I guess, is the
adjective vs. noun issue, wherein the "Danish" in "I am a Danish." is an
adjective, and thus seems to imply and elided noun "pastry" (as in "Danish
Pastry"), whereas, in "I am Danish" the "Danish is presumed to be an
attribute of the subject ("I"). This is fine as long as we know about
Danish pastry. "I am American." sounds OK, but normally seems linked to
some conversational context (as in "What are you ?" "I am an American.");
but, for me at least, the more general statement would be "I am an
American." Given the lack, in America, of any "American Pastry", we infer
that the elided noun in "I am an American." must be something like "citizen".

My point, I guess, is that it all is indeed confusing. I would add that
regularities, patterns, and common expressions do not make for rules that
must be rigidly adhered to--either by speakers or by hearers.

                Cheers,
                    David