Re: Mac and Xy

At 05:20 PM 8/8/2009, Russell Urquhart wrote:
On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 02:04:43PM -0700, Fred Weiner wrote: > On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Lisa Kleinholz wrote: > > > Any recommendations on external drive makes & models? > >> > LaCie. Very high quality. Their web store has a section of reconditioned
Professional photographers and videographers, and the students in our shop who work with video, look for Hitachi drives in external shells. They are constantly accessing the drives, much more than the average computer user. While LaCie gets very high marks on most consumer review sites, it gets mixed reviews among the aforementioned pros, again because of the way the pros use them. Their drive of choice is a G Drive http://www.g-technology.com/Products/g-drive-mini.cfm . Hitachi also makes boxes for its drives. I too am about to buy another (my third) external HD. I'm trying to decide between the G-Drive Mini and the LaCie Rugged. I plan to use it to shag tiffs and jpegs from various places as I research my next project. At home, I'm still trying to learn about the Drobo system, which I'm seriously considering for the kind of backup we are talking about here. Michael Norman