Re: SRCH6.ZIP

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 TBaehr@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> OK, I promise to stop this madness. I have a v.7, but it's a trivial change
> from v.6.

No - don't stop - I want to see vers 99 - keep on tweaking ... I've been
using a III version of your prog for a few days. I'm still tweaking it -
I've found that I'm prone to hit F3 to end the search - so now F3 is the
same as enter. I've also put the whole search/select into a subroutine
that returns an error code. Instead of separate search down/back
routines, I pass "b" and "" to the subroutine so it will know which way
to search and which way to back up to define the search arg. I've put the
search arg on the cmd line so I'm sure of what I've typed. - Also
implemented David Auerbach's design such that a failed search starts a
new search with the character that caused the error. I need to work on
searching for ascii-2, control chars (to search for modes) and functions
(to search for XPL function codes) - Last: I've found that in III+ I can
just concatenate the backspace char to strip off the last char of the
search arg. Still get the proper string for default on next search. But
in Vers 4 - doing this causes "BD" to appear in the default search string
(odd eh?) In vers III the siz of the string shows that the BD function is
in there, but the resulting string is what you'd expect (last char lopped
off) -

So - (I think this is why Holmgren was pissed that he couldn't find your
code within the Enhanced set) - its not just the finished product that
draws interest. Multiple versions of the same basic idea are a tradition
around here. I'll be interested to see what Robert does to this routine
when the leaves begin to fall. Cheers.

J Solla