XyWrite Mac DOSBox Printing

Friends.

I have engineered a (kludgy) approach to printing any formatted  XyWrite 4.018 file running in DOSBox on my intel Mac. There have been a number of posts (under several different headers) regarding the topic of XyWrite and DOSBox, so I'm assuming there may be more than a few of you with interest.

Here are the details:

POSTGHST.PRN, should be loaded via a SETP command in http://STARTUP.INT ("BX setp n Q2" where POSTGHST.PRN is the nth listed in the PP table in your DFL file).

Use the TYF command to print the formatted file to disc. This creates a file named FO.TMP in the directory you're working in (or have directed TYF to print it to).

Move FO.TMP to the Mac desktop, (or elsewhere), as http://FO.PS (this can be done in Terminal: "mv /'location of fo.tmp in xy'/FO.TMP ~/Desktop/FO.PS"; there are any number of other ways to accomplish, and to automate, this step).

Once http://FO.PS is where you want it, open it in Preview.app (or any application that converts a postscript file to a pdf). This can be as simple as a double-click on it's icon if your system is configured to open postscript files in Preview. The file will be converted to a PDF in Preview, and can be printed to your installed Mac printer from there.

The U2 frame TYP can not be used within DOSBox on a Mac, since it requires Win32. I welcome anyone's suggestion for improving on this technique. Those with the required expertise to really make the task hum (you know who you are) do not appear to be using Macs; more's the pity as I would love to see XY ported cleanly to Macintosh OS X (built on Unix) without the need for the expensive, distressingly complex commercial emulators.

Speaking of our experts, I wish to express thanks to Robert for his joyful "XyWrite for Windows" tutorial. Although I do not use XyWrite for Windows, I learned more watching and listening to him build a http://startup.int file, about the possibilities for the STACK frame, for example, than I have been able to learn for myself by reading about it. Inspiring. A treat to hear the growl of ursus holmgrenii. Thank you.

Fred Weiner