Re: Xywrite in Linux, using either Dosbox or Dosemu

Bob Zimmerman wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to figure out how to add the
>patches to Dosbox that will allow both printing and cut-and-paste. It is
>also possible that neither is doable.

"Patricia M. Godfrey" answered:
>If by cut and paste you mean using the U2 clip routine, I believe
>that's specific to various versions of Windows and OS/2.

Hi Patricia,

Actually, I was not referring to the U2 clip routine. I realize it only works in Windows and OS/2.

What we Linux-users need is a method for cut-and-paste between Xywrite and the Linux clipboard. There is a patch for Dosbox that will do cut and paste, but it only works in Windows machines. See the forum discussion at: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=13117&highlight=printing&sid=2c38e0cd31229bba066e25711905d0c1.

I emailed qv90 (Florian), the writer of this patch, who told me creating a patch for Dosbox to do
cut-and-paste in Linux is possible. To quote him:

"The only way to get that solved is to dig through all available XYWrite documentation to find
out where and how that program is storing the clipboard data....If that secret is known, you need to
know KDE's API to access the clipboard. Then it's easy to add some code of lines in DosBox to build
the bridge between those two worlds."

I think if someone could provide him the Xywrite info, he would be willing to write the code, for a
small fee. I just don't know where to find out this information.

Bob
4708 Montgomery Place
Beltsville, Maryland 20705
301-937-0394