Re: off-topic: curly brackets

Judith Davidsen wrote:

> What do curly brackets mean?
>
> I'm proofing pages right now and find some subheads in curly
> brackets. I've seen this in other publications and always
> found it unnerving, as though the material within the curls
> were asides rather than something the reader is being asked
> to zero in on.

Assuming the pages you're proofing do not deal with some exotic
discipline (i.e., these are not the proofs for the Spring issue of the
Journal of Tantric Alchemy), or the work is not a translation from early
Icelandic, which as we all know did not employ subheads and so the
translators are merely trying to show these heads are _theirs_ and not
in the original, I think it is fair to say that the author of the work
in question has some sort of {fetish} and that they may be safely
eliminated.

> Is this just my quirky interpretation or is there a
> standard? Should I ask the layout artist to get rid of them?

Therefore my answer would be {quite probably}.

> Thanks for any info. I've tried googling, but the 11,000
> results all seem to be about programming.

Excuse me, but I believe your search needs some narrowing down here,
yes?

;-)

> Judith Davidsen

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)