RE: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

"Access to installed Windows fonts and printing services."

Maybe just monospaced ones, as vDOSPlus has.
Reply to note from Philip White  Tue, 10 Apr 2018
21:43:16 +0000

Phil,

> Perhaps it would be a good idea for the various participants to
> throw out a few ideas of what they would like to see in a new
> embodiment of XyWrite.

Since we're dreaming, here's my wish list:

- Backward compatibility with XyWrite keyboard, personal spelling,
   hyphenation and settings files (SETTINGS.DFL)
- Alternatively, a similar system of editable plain-text customization
   files (e.g., INI files)
- Full support for v4 XPL (minus the 64KB memory limit, of course!)
- Full support for U# customization files (e.g., U2)
- Hooks for modern scripting languages
- Full support for XyWrite 4 embedded formatting
- "Compatibility mode" for XyWrite 3 formatting (Xy3 files can be
   edited, SAved and printed as Xy3 files, without modification)
- Access to installed Windows fonts and printing services
- Access to Windows spell-checkers
- Unicode support

And last but not least:

- Portability: no installation required