Extra Codes

Leslie's procedure should work fine, and if (like me) you WANT additive
modes, you'd just change the final CI routine. One thing: KEEP the
original file. Create a new file, merge the original. That way, you won't
forget and SAve to the original file name. After you've stripped out
everything, you may find that some of that garbage is needed, for
reference if nothing else. I would say that 85-95 percent of end users do
not know how to use Word's or WP's equivalent of column tables; when they
need to set something up in tabular form, they use tabs and even CRs and
spaces (quelle horreur!). So if you later discover there was such a
"table" in the original, you'll need to see how things should line up. (I
posted something perhaps 6 months ago on converting such a tab-formatted
table to real Column Tables in Xy, then exporting back to WP; IIRC, the
heading was "101 Things You Can Only Do in XyWrite.")
	But for a quick and dirty clean-up (if that isn't a contradiction in
terms), you can always use Xy's WONDERFUL ability to copy and past to the
command line. Find a string of garbage codes, define them, issue CI |
(IIRC, RTF coding uses the forward slash, so that may be in the string,
so you'll need to use the pipe symbol for your divider), then copy to
command line to get the string of codes up there. Then complete the CI
with || and execute. If the codes are repetetive, as they often are, that
will clean out a bunch. Look for some more and do likewise. But I agree
we should have a routine. Back around the end of January (when I was
doing my last reinstall of Gates' garbage, so I'm missing a few digests)
someone posted a URL for a site that had a tractate on RTF coding; I have
the file, but not the URL.
Patricia