Re: Rules for counting words in XyW 3+

At 20:25 Uhr -0500 26.02.2002, Lawrence Malkin wrote:

>  I divide the number of bytes in the file (i.e., article or
>chapter) by 5.5 or 5.6. I find this gives the number of words to

Actually, 6 is kind of standard in the translation industry.

But here is a question: How comes the *byte count* for the same clean text
file created in XY is different from the "character count" one gets from MS
Word?
It should not, but it is, as I recently found out. Typical difference is
about 2 k.

This has been a point of contention between me and a client, and now I have
reluctantly stopped looking at the byte count from XYwrite and am using MS
Word as a byte counter instead. What a humiliation. Anybody knows the
reason?

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo (rrr @ twics.com)