re Converting 3-byte chars

"Enter the 255 by tapping (XY4.KBD) Alt-Shift-2+5+5 on the keypad
(three keystrokes). Note that what you are entering in your KBD file is a 3-byte
255, but that when you use this key in text or on the CMline, it puts a
1-byte 255."   --Robert J. Holmgren

Wow! Now, that's *cool*--when applied to the command line. I find
the behavior in text strange, to put it mildly. Would be real
nice to be able to use the first byte of a null, e.g., in xpl
routines that search function symbols instead of crudely BD'ing
over the second two bytes. Is that too much to hope for, or am I
just doing something dumb? I hate when a loose partial null gets
hooked to a return in text so I can't BD or CL over it, and when
I try to use the single-byte char in text that's all that
happens--once I get control of the cursor again.

I welcome your arrival here, and am excited at the prospect of
more tips like this, genuinely innovative xpl techniques, and such--the great strength of
The Herb's v3 book--and hope Carl, "XyW," and "T. Baehr" (Carl and
"XyW"/"T.
Baehr"?) will be inspired to jump in. I'll hate it though if the
energy is focused on .DLG. I guess anyone who liked A La Carte will love .DLG but my A
La Carte stayed in the box, where I believe menus and dialog boxes belong.
   --Annie F.

========================== annie fisher  nyc