Anti-Spam Option

To All Subscribers:

Yesterday's spam took me by surprise. I thought the list was
configured to accept posts from subscribers only, but clearly that's
not true (as a review of current settings confirms). It would be an
easy matter to block mail from non-subscribers. The question is,
should it be done?

Personally, I'm inclined to say yes, since anyone can subscribe, the
overwhelming majority of posters do subscribe, and (because rejected
messages are routed to me) I can alert non-subscribers who attempt
to post that a subscription is necessary. In a word, we lose
nothing (except unwanted posts), while the burden on non-subscribers
is minimal. On the other hand, spam has not been a big problem in
recent memory -- an argument for maintaining the status quo.

Your views?

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/