En dash

Can anyone advise me on how to insert an en dash (or code) in Xy that will convert from ASCII to an en dash in Word? The en dash I find on Xy4 Dos menu (insert, special characters, punctation [259]) renders a couple of boxes. I'm using Word conversion from MS text, which works well in most cases, except for upper ascii characters.

I could create my own code and search and replace in Word, but it would be nice if the conversion were automatic.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa