Re: XyWrite and C (in the 21st century)

Well, perhaps when it dies, Windows will become abandonware.
Windows 2000 works fine for me, runs all my software and rarely crashes. I don't use XP or Vista and for the moment don't intend to. I don't particularly like Microsoft but it seems to me that most of the world's software (at least in terms of numbers of programs) is written for this platform. I'd be happy to use Linux if it could do what I wanted but there are many programs that I want to use that it won't run without a great deal of work and that includes XYwrite which I have never been able to run under Linux so that it looks and feels as it does under Windows. While I don't mind fiddling with Linux once in a while, I'd have to spend much more time that I do with Windows if I wanted to run it full time.

So that's why Windows.

Paul

wbass@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Paul Breeze wrote:
What I want is a windows version of XY4

Why Windows? Microsoft is a dying company which seems mostly interested in
putting it to their customers, these days, and leveraging their monopoly
to cause customers as much grief as possible. People want XP more than
they want Vista. So Microsoft is withdrawing XP. Cool. And, there is WGA.
And ...

When thinking about a reasonable future, why would you postulate on that
depends on Microsoft? A good part of the civilized world, except for the
US of A, is getting smarter than that.

Wally Bass