MS-Word and conversion alternatives

Hello,

There are able compatible programs that are more light-weight than MS
Word, and produce compatible output for those who need it. Textmaker is
such a program. It is a snappy compatible low-cost program that I would
recommend! This German company has DOS roots:
http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofwtm_en.htm
There is even a free version, but it does not export to DOCX format,
whereas the above does: http://www.freeoffice.com/

This company has big claims about converting old formats, even XyWrite:
http://www.avantstar.com/metro/home/Products/QuickViewPlusStandardEdition/Info/Specifications
Check carefully if it meets the bill.

Those who know some Visual Basic (Word's programming language) can
easily make their own conversion routines that work quite well. I have
such a routine stashed away somewhere, but could not find it just now.
There are examples how to do this on the Net.

Check also HTML filters that could be adapted to handle Xy:
http://www.w3.org/Tools/Word_proc_filters.html

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)