Saving PDF File With Xywrite

There's probably no way around this problem, but just out of curiosity...

What's the difference between Xywrite (3 in this instance) and a plain text GUI editor (i.e.
Textpad) when it comes to using the "save" function on a PDF document? I am able to open a
PDF in Textpad, make a change, then save the file, and the PDF file is just fine when I open it in a
PDF reader.

If I do the same thing using Xy, the PDF becomes corrupted (I even used Textpad to remove the EOF
that Xy leaves behind).

Obviously, Xy does something very different to ASCII (could this be a code page thing?) than
Textpad does...even though for many years now I've been using them both at the same time on the same
files without seeing any problems. Is PDF not really ASCII, like I think it is?

It would save me an immeasurable amount of tedious work if I could use Xy to "fix" the PDF
files for my current project (nearly 8,000 PDF files!)

-Brian H.