Re: USB printer and OED - Solution

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Mon, 8 Sep
2003 13:39:02 +0100

Paul:

> Your solution works perfectly.

I think it's a universal answer to all H-P printer incompatibilities with the
OED. I sure wish I had known long ago that you don't need to uninstall the
damn incompatible printer -- would've saved hours and hours of frustration.
Jeesh! It's a bloody simple workaround.

Changes and Frills:
------- --- ------
Move the DELAY and SDP files into dir \OEDV110 (or whatever it is),
 instead of having a separate directory just for these three files
Change SDP.INI variable "no_window" to "no_window=0". With
"timeout=0",
 you suppress the window that opens when the Default Printer is
 changed, but (with "no_window=0") you permit SDP without arguments to
 still report to the screen your known printer drivers. With
 "no_window=1", nothing is reported (all SDP windows are suppressed, always)
Put @ECHO OFF at the top of the BATch file
Make a New shortcut on the Desktop for "Oxford English Dictionary",
 direct it to run d:\OEDV110\STARTOED.BAT, set the window
 to "Run: Minimized", and change the icon to the one in OED.EXE.
 This way OED launches instantaneously, with no on-screen BATfile
 garbage displayed, just as if you were running OED.EXE directly.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx