Re: Orbis and XyDOS 4.1X

Hello Mr. Frank;

>We do not presently have a date for releasing an updated Orbis.
I will >certainly advise you when we do.

That's too bad. I was hoping to get a hold of a copy in the next
little while. I do have use of that critter and would like to be
able to finally use it. Are there any rough release dates on it?
 How far along are you in its development and what is it that you
are doing with the product now anyway?

KF>As to the bug fixes, we are shortly going to release a Xy 4.017 for DOS
KF>(which is the version I assume you are speaking of).

Yes.

KF>What specific bugs are you referring to in column tables and the
KF>graphical interface?

The bugs in the bug reports I have sent into you as well as some
of the reports posted here on the list. I to be a little more
specific, I have been having troubles laying out columns in the
table. It tends to blow up after some time of fiddling with it.
The graphical interface can have troubles with its stability.
The screen quites updating after a random amount of time.

KF>If your request regarding the Alt keys is directed to the DOS product,
KF>they are defined in the keyboard file which you can remap yourself. The
KF>keys in the Alt table call the menus. I know a number of folks here on
KF>this list use keyboards that do not use the Alt keys for menu access, and
KF>I am sure they would be happy to share them with you.

Actually, as I said to Nathan, it isn't the
combinations that I am worried about, that is already taken care
of. It is the acutal  key itself. When this key is pressed
and released, it moves programme operation to the menu, like
WordPerfect does. I don't like this "feature" particularly well,
as I tend to ride the  key qute a lot and it interupts the
editing/writing session.

Unfortunately, the only way in which I can get rid of that
function is to remove all references to the  key in the
keyboard file, and that is not what I would like to do.

I was told, some time ago, that this was hard coded into the
programme and I was mearly asking if it had been changed and if
not, could a simple switch be put in to turn off the feature.

Thanks for your time on this.

Carter Campbell campbelc@xxxxxxxx carterc@xxxxxxxx
Calgary, Alberta, Canada.