Re: TTG marketing woes

  >>Some people want sedans with automatic shifts;
  >others >want sports cars with five-speed stick shifts, and both
  >markets are >accommodated. The same ought to prevail in Computer
  >World, too.
  >Long live choice. Unfortunately, the uneasy tension that exists
  >between a wide selection of products and economies of scale (read
  >price) can sometimes chew the head off of variety. And it can be hard
  >not to take it personally when it's one's own particular favorite
  >product that gets discarded by the market ("What's the matter with the
  >world? Doesn't it know a superior product when it sees one?").

  True, but Toyota manages to make a family sedan and a sports car, do
they not?

  >Obviously, anybody will find it hard to be happy with the choices
  >available when they're not sitting comfortably somewhere in the middle
  >of that market. Didn't somebody once call free enterprise markets
  >the democracy of dollars?

  I don't know, but I sure agree with that.

  >I guess the major players in the market will always go where the
  >largest segments are buying, and right now the big crowds at the cash
  >register appear to be corporate users and at-home beginners. Thank
  >goodness for niche companies (like TTG). I just wish TTG were a bit
  >more . . . what shall we call it? Savvy? Ambitious?

  Yup. That's the role niche products and producers are designed to play.

  >So now, isn't somebody going to suggest forming a Group Xy, similar to
  >Group OS2, that would go forth unto the ends of the earth preaching
  >the joys of command lines and programming?

  Geez, I _hope_ not. If they do, include me out. As Groucho said so
wisely, "I'd never want to join any club that would have _me_ for a member."

  >Actually, though, if it
  >does, I can't qualify, being a writer rather than a programmer and
  >having no desire to become one.

  Well learning a couple of XPL routines can simply your writing life
majorly.

  >Still, it'd be nice to have the product better represented to advanced
  >users and writers in the marketplace. Ah well. At least maybe there
  >won't be another Signature.

  You got that right--and there won't be another Edsel, either!

  --Leslie--

`[1;36;47mRainbow V 1.19.1 for Delphi - Registered