File problem....

Can someone help? I've not encountered this before. I have
a relatively short file of approximately 20 pages with 34
footnotes, many of which are quite long. When I call up the
file in DRAFT view, for some reason that I cannot identify, one
of the footnotes appears as if it were in EXPANDED view. That
is, I see FN1 and then the entire note, in the DRAFT text. If
I press the down arrow, the text advances in a jerky fashion
down the file to a certain point in the note, but, from the
point of view of the reader, in what appears to be plain text,
and then after passing this point, resumes normal speed. If
I go backwards through the text at this point, it jumps to the
start of the note, and now a note number appears in the text,
and the FN1 and the note text disappear. But the note number
is the note number of the previous note, and all subsequent notes
follow, so that I end up with one less note than I actually have.
When I look at the file in GRAPHIC view, the note in question
is missing, despite the fact that it is there, and can be edited.

I've tried deleting the offending note, and then reintroducing
it into the text, but that does not inprove the situation.
Sometimes I get the note to be properly numbered, but it does
not stick, in the sense that if I save and leave the file, and
then come back, the number reverts to the number that makes
it the duplicate of the previous note.

How do I repair this? I've looked at the entire file in EXPANDED
view, expecting to see code that should not be there, but I find
nothing. If it is any help, this happend when I, by mistake,
pressed a key or keys that resulted in the openning of a second
file while I was in this file. This file I quickly exited without
saving anything, and was back in my primary file.

Any help would be appreciated. In advance, thank you.

M.W. Poirier