Re: Help with XyWrite Install on new computer

Jimsulski@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Install went okay (I had to copy a few files from my existing XyWrite directory on my old XP laptop- new machine doesn't have a 3.5 floppy so I copied the old floppies to a memory stick and ran the install from there) and after a little tweaking, the program ran on the new machine.
What do you mean by "install"? To the best of my knowledge it is difficult if not impossible to "install" Xy on any version of Win32. You have to copy an existing installed setup.Copy the whole megillah from the old XP laptop to the memory stick (wonderful devices!), copy it to a directory with the same name on the same letter drive on the new one. What you should do next is Search on the old laptop for any file outside that directory that mentions Xy. Unfortunately the Search/Find command (one of the few reasonably useful functions in Windows) has gone to the dogs in XP.But apparently the DOS Find command still works under cmd.exe (It's there under kmd.exe, but for some reason I cannot type quotation marks in a kmd session, so I cannot specify a string. Probably because I have the US International keyboard loaded; they come out OK from a command.com prompt.)
You don't want to set the path to just c:\XY in autoexec.bat, I don't
think (I've only used XP once or twice, but I know in 9x you wouldn't.
Does autoexec.bat affect just command prompt sessions or the whole
windows session as well in NT?). I launch Xy with a bat file that sets
the path just for Xy sessions; the pif points to that. In 9x, once you
close the DOS session, the path automatically reverts to the one set in
Windows. There have been a lot of discussions of methods of getting Xy
working under XP, and now that XySearch is up, you can probably find
them faster there than I could retrieve them from my archive

Patricia M. Godfrey