Re: Word and Happy99 and things

Leslie Bialler:

>You are forgetting that XyWrite is basically for writers and
>editors (what is the name of the EXE file? uhhuh, uhuh).

Cough. The bit about the name of the .EXE rather suggests that you're
forgetting XyWin.

>Word is designed for the
>general public--it is designed for people formerly known as
>clerk-typists who are now probably called administrative assistants
>toiling in "entry level" positions.

Possibly true. And, by implication, what a pleasant way to congratulate
ourselves!

>> So shouldn't they fix the ruddy bugs in XyWrite?
>
>Few remain. And those that are of only marginal annoyance.

Perhaps my copy (4.12) of XyWin differs from yours.

>Why on earth would system administrators switch to a word processor they
>would have to train people to use when they know very well that a new
>hire is odds-on to know MsWord?

You're well ahead of us in the Inscrutable Orient. The new hire here is
likely to be unfamiliar with any word processor. (Anyway, the docile
majority of my undergrad students don't know MS Word or anything else.)

Incidentally, the only people I've encountered who *know* MS Word--who can
do more than the most basic things with it--are also fully conversant with
at least one of XyWrite, FrameMaker, PageMaker, or TeX. As for the
majority of Word-sufferers, a lot of them seem unaware of (for example)
cut/copy/paste.

How is MS Word advertised in America-- No, let's drop the thread; it's
off-topic and fruitless.
Peter Evans