RE: XyWrite and C (in the 21st century)

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, russurquhart1@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Also, at least on the Mac OS X side, over the past few years, I've seen a lot of different and specific wordprocessor being produced. While some you see that try and mimic M$ Word, or Open Office, i have seen a lot that are specific to writing a novel, writing a screenplay, keeping track of bits of information related to writing your novel/screenplay, some wordprocessors that mimic the old DOS days with the notion being that the windowed environments make it distracting when trying to write creatively. I mention this because it reminds me of the good old days when Xywrite, Wordperfect, Multimate, Wordstar, etc were all thriving as well as a lot of smaller specific purpose wordprocessors existed for DOS. There were a lot of neat choices back then!
Russ, this is an interesting observation because it suggests that,
appearances to the contrary (a world running on Word, Excel, and a few
other giants), there is still enthusiasm for simpler applications that do
a limited range of things extremely well. Maybe there's a future in
"expert" applications and their satisfactions.

Carlo Caballero
thyrsus@xxxxxxxx