From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Patricia M. Godfrey
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 12:11 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Superscript in XY4--and small caps?

Paul Ambos wrote:

>I find that superscript mode prints superscripts in a reduced-size font
>elevated above the baseline of the normal font [using] a customized
HPLJ-4L.PRN printing to a HP LJ 3030, and the Attribute file contains:
>AT<?<*p-16Y
>AT>?>*p+16Y
>(where the fourth character appears to be the "escape" character (ASCII 27)
displaying as a left-pointing-arrow), which appears to be the default code
for the file.

Ironic, I WANT small superscripts and cannot get them through the
printer driver, at least in PostScript. I'm going to try that attribute
on my HP printer file, though, and see what it accomplishes. Thanks, Paul.

But this might be a way to get small caps. I recall years ago when my
only printer was an NEC dot matrix, I managed to create small caps by
creating an attribute that was superscript with the rolling of the
platen (to raise it above the baseline) turned off. Of course, that
printer had a REAL manual, so one could find out what the relevant
commands were. (It used Epson's ESC-P, IIRC.)

Patricia M. Godfrey