Re: Using XyWrite as an address book

Do you have some need for sorting? Why not leave it as
searchable free-form. That's what I do. Otherwise, what occurs to me is a
semi-manual process:

Go through the file and wherever a name and address begins, mark it with some special character, such as this way:

!John & Jane Doe
111 Montmorency Court
Bowen's Hall
01833 566 2980

Make sure the block always ends with two carriage-returns. Then I can write you a simple XPL program to DeFine those blocks and CoPy them to a new file. From there, if you want further sorting, do a CI (change invisible) to replace double carriage-returns with something (temporarily), say the carat character and then another CI to change single carriage returns with tabs, then change the carat character to a single carriage return and you've got a file sortable by first name. A similar process of marking could make a file sortable by last name.

  What about using FISH /or/ FISHOUT (same thing) from the U2 file?
  You will not even need to structure the data.  It will produce all
  the content that meets your criterion, and then all you do is cycle
  through it.  If the criterion is a city name, then that may produce
  a whole lot of content, but if it's a proper name, then you likely
  will hit it immediately, unless it's a name like "SMITH" and there
  a number of SMITHs in the database.

  M. W. Poirier