Re: NB 8 and U2

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Thu, 29 Dec 2005
00:19:37 -0500

> A U2 routine I use to change directories doesn't work in NB 8.

Which one?

> I think it
> may have to do with it being old code that uses s/g 00, which may no longer
> be usable (?).

S/G 00 is usable, as in Xy4.

> I was going to comment out the line with the 00, for testing, but a strange
> thing happens: the line begins with the reversed smiley-face (ascii 02 as I
> recall). In NB it shows up as a script-like S. Okay, when I tried to put a
> ;*; right after it, the semi-colon wouldn't show up. Instead it put in a
> different kind of script-like S.

Appearances are deceptive. The point is, if you view your code in Xy4, you
will find that it is just fine. I would write my code in Xy4, and just re-LOAD
it in NB. Much less confusing.

There is an issue with *SAving* a file like U2 in NB8. Just saw this tonight.
Haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. But U2 loads perfectly, and works very
well, IMO. Users who buy in to NB should NOT discard their Xy4 installation!
It remains very handy.

> Is there some kind of code-page issue here?

There are codepage issues, several of them, but it doesn't sound connected to
what you're doing. For one thing, the base CodePage of NB is 1252, Windows
ANSI -- not 437/850. For another, the LAnguage variable works differently:
 instead of  etc.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx