Re: file formats - specific use - w TeX or LaTeX

As Manuel says, I use XyWrite to edit LaTeX files. LaTeX files are
plain text, so any text editor will do the job. I've customized XyWrite
to make working with the files easier. If you're thinking of using
LaTeX just a bit, you probably don't want to get into massive
customization. Rather, I would suggest either just using XyWrite as is,
or using one of the editors specifically designed for LaTeX, like WinEdt
(shareware), TeXnicCenter

http://texniccenter.org/
or Lyx (quasi-WYSIWYG, or as they say, WYSIWYM)
http://www.lyx.org/

I started using XyWrite in combination with LaTeX around 20 years ago,
when no custom editors existed. If I were starting over I would
probably try Lyx first. It's free, open source, and is in active
development; a LaTeX-using friend reports that it is very robust.

Martin

Phil White wrote:

I've heard that XyWrite can be used to prepare files that can be fed into TeX or LaTeX for output in scientific notation. This may be very useful for some of the work I am doing. Does anyone know where I can find references or examples of how this is done? -Phil Philip D. White, Senior Information Architect University of Houston, CASA Testing Center Phone: (713) 743-4135 Fax: (713) 743-8630 Email: pdwhite@xxxxxxxx -----Original Message----- From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of flash Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:37 AM To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: file formats Y'all, Here is a useful link for programmers: http://www.wotsit.org/default.asp They catalog file formats and links to source web sites for further information on each format. They have sections on text, graphics, printers, fonts, and much more. Does anybody in this forum have any experience with DICOM formatting (digital imaging and communications in medicine)? Way off topic, I know... Cheers,
-- Martin J. Osborne Department of Economics 150 St. George Street University of Toronto Toronto M5S 3G7 Canada http://www.economics.utoronto.ca martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne +1 416-978-5094