Re: NB 8 (Trial version)

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Thu, 13
Apr 2006 11:56:01 -0400

> There's even a Mac util (but it's beta and unsupported) called Bootcamp
> that's supposed to let you switch between Mac and Windows opsyses on an
> Intel Mac. ("But why would you want to?" ask the Mac true-believers.)

The recent Apple announcement that new Macs will be able to run Windows
amounts, simply, to dual booting -- and nothing more. You must reset the
machine to change OpSyses. So in other words, the great achievement here is
simply to adjust Mac hardware so that Windows can recognize it. Why can't they
virtualize a Windows machine under OSX? Small beer. (However, I do see that
Apple finally added a third button to their mouse -- and also a wheel!
Innovative!)

Meanwhile, M$ is desperately trying to dodge this bullet by dumping yet another
of the grand departures that Shorthorn/Vista originally promised, namely EFI
(to replace the BIOS). And Vista will require that all drivers be digitally
"signed" by Microsoft -- which basically means that Microsoft will be writing
all the drivers, and old equipment will be useless. Vista will appear in, not
two, but seven different versions (the costliest "Ultimate" version will be a
roll-your-own OpSys). M$ projects 400 million installations within two years.
So let's see: 400,000,000 x $200 = $80 billion.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx