Re: Deltags adds

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Mon, 05 May
2003 20:54:54 -0400

> The new DELTAGS seems to work fine. But could we have:
>
> ' (apostrophe) for ’
> ' (apostrophe) for “
> ` (reverse apostrophe) for ”

Hmmm. Applying the ISO 8859-1 (a/k/a Latin-1 a/k/a Windows)
character set, my browser renders ‘ and ’ as open and close
single quotes, and “ and ” as open and close double quotes.
Possibly the discrepancy has to do with the lack of standard
assignments for characters 127-159. As I said not too long ago (see
my post of 22 Jan 2003 20:58:55), I hesitate to go there in DELTAGS,
in part because of such ambiguities.

By the way, neither of your ENCODEd XPL snippets decodes correctly.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx