Re: Commented search routine

I have had quite a lot of trouble with UUencoding. Sysops are very
familiar with it, and explain it by various disparities in character
sets that a message encounters when it crosses a dozen servers and
four or five platforms during the simple "jump" from thee to me.
XX-encoding always works because of the much smaller character set,
essentially letters of the alphabet and punctuation. I have had quite
good luck, however, with mime attachments, which are UU-encoded. But
if your server can't decode them, you can't do it independently,
because of the lack of header data. Of course by "you" I mean "I";
Annie may well have licked this minor problem.

--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science