Re: New driver for Hewlett-Packard DeskJet printer at XyWWWeb

On replacing an aging DeskJet 540:

Short answer: HP LaserJet 6L, and just tell XyWrite it's a 4L.

If you print lots of detailed graphics, you'll need to touch up the
graphics section of the standard-issue 4L printer file to get it to do true
600dpi. I've done this with 95% success and would be happy to share the
mods (and explain the 5% shortfall, which still has me baffled but really
doesn't affect the utility of the printer).

DeskJets _are_ dirt cheap, but not cheap enough in my book for what they
give you. Cheap LaserJets are a real bargain. Believe me, you'll never
miss the "slide-klunk-buzz-klunk."

Dan De Hainaut
103105.1262@xxxxxxxx