Re: (fwd) Hurray for InfoWorld - Win95 L

>Haromn Seaver apparently wrote "... But TTG is not the
>company that XyQuest was, and that's why Notabene jumped ship."
>
>On count 1 you're absolutely right: XyQuest is not still in
business, TTG is. >

  What I was saying was that the originators of XY, as well as
Notabene, were pretty much hacker-types, who were after the most
technically advanced word processing they could develop (geez,
they even wrote the whole of XY in assembler to maximize speed
and minimize size) and were definitely not overly concerned with
market share. TTG is -- by your own admission -- market driven,
rather than going for the ultimate tech. Which is clearly --
whoops, I almost said the O word. Anyway, that is the difference
that I see here, and that concerns me.
  BTW, what code is XY done in now? It appears too large for
assembler
(though I haven't taken the time to put it through my ICE cracker
to actually look) and too slow also. Was it completely re-written
for v. 4??

>Second, for the record, Nota Bene did not jump ship. We
determined that the >market share/support cost simply did not
work for us, and rather than kill the >product we gave a small
group of devoted NBers the opportunity to market it, >retaing
ownership of the products. LIke we did with XyWrite, however, we
 >saved the product from extinction, fulfilled NB's broken
promises, and then >allowed those who love the product to keep
it going. Trust me, we lost money >on that one, but did it
because we felt an obligation to the devoted users of >the
product. I don't think a lot of companies would have done that.

>Kenneth Frank

  I hope you understand that I'm not just trying to put down
TTG. And, BTW, that quote of mine you used there was not a
public statement, but a private e-mail to DW, which he then chose
to share with the group. Not that
I care, but just for the record. I said I would observe the cease
fire in the os wars, and didn't post that "MSphobic diatribe" as
some would call it.
8-)

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx harmon@xxxxxxxx

The fundamental delusion of humanity is that I am in here and you
are out there.