Re: DOS only machine?

Thanks, Kari & Carl!

Very helpful - - -

http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htmhttp://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm  ($4 to download a number of relevant utilities and drivers)

The video https://youtu.be/_cnTc9mMnpA helps, but assumes you have a fairly decent understanding of DOS device drivers.  It's been a long time since I had to work under the hood like that.

With the oldest of my laptops (an 8086 and a '286), only serial and parallel ports are available, while the "new" one is one of those underpowered little 'netbooks' that more or less runs WinXP (I think), and only has USB ports. I thought any or all of them might work nicely as pure-DOS machines for XyWriting if I can get data in and out.  Hence the question about USB & DOS (for the netbook).

The non-USB computers are more problematic unless I can scrounge up enough reliable floppies (and I haven't tested the floppy drives for at least 25 years).  My current computers are all Macs, and I don't know whether I could connect a Mac with a DOS PC via a USB to RS232 serial converter and a null modem cable.

Maybe I should just try to fix my 1959 Smith Corona typewriter, write with that, and scan it into my Mac Pro.  :-)

Myron