Re: XyWrite & Adobe Acrobat

I've done it using XyWin and it works fine. I have Acrobat 4.0 for
Windows; it comes with two components called Acrobat PDFWriter and
Distiller. They both show up on your Windows system as printers. You
just print your file using either one as the printer, and it comes out
as a pdf file.

PDFWriter works more quickly for documents that are mostly text;
Distiller is better for stuff that has more graphics and allows you to
tweak more settings (e.g. are the colors optimized for printing, or
for the web?). The whole process is usually pretty painless.

The new Adobe Acrobat (5) apparently has new and useful features, like
extracting the text from pdf's and saving it in other formats, and
adding multiple levels of "stickies" to pdf documents so you can send
them around for review and distinguish different people's comments.

By the way -- I also have Adobe Type Manager installed. This installs
some PostScript fonts and makes Windows see them, so that you can put
them into your documents. These fonts look WAY better than the
TrueType fonts that come with windows, especially in pdf's, since pdf
(portable document format) is a subset of PostScript (which is a
file format for putting marks on paper also owned by Adobe, although
it is an open standard).

Two sample files are attached. The file "sample_univers" was made in
XyWin and there were no font settings in the document; I just have my
default font set to the Adobe PS font called "Univers" at 12 pt. The
file named "sample_courier_new" was made in XyWin with the font set to
Courier New 12 pt (that's a TrueType file that either came with MS
Word or with my computer's version of Win98 or I downloaded from the
Microsoft site, I can't remember which. But it acts like the other
TrueType fonts). They were both made using PDFWriter as the printer.

Btw, those files are copyright Harvard University Press.